Frederick County Parks and Recreation is continually updating cancellations and closings. Please understand that these decisions are evolving as new information and/or directives come through State of MD, FCG, and FCPS.
Click here for the most up to date information
The battery of limestone kilns operated from approximately 1872 - 1955 and produced a powdered burnt lime that was used for field fertilizers and crushed stone for road surfacing.
Park visitors are now able to travel a self-guided interpretive trail around the remaining 6 of the original 8 kilns. The last 2 were never used because they were considered unstable and have now collapsed.
Limestone quarrying was
an important industry in Frederick County 100 years ago because of the
rich limestone fault that runs under the entire county. From examining
the deeds recorded on the Fountain Rock Park property, it is evident
that the land was used extensively for this industry. It has not been
determined in exactly what year the kilns were built, but it is known
that on November 18, 1907, it was referred to as the Fountain Rock Lime
Leonard Barrick bought Fountain Rock in 1907, as a
supplementary limestone quarry to the Barrick Woodsboro plant, which he
started in 1874. His family said that Fountain Rock Spring was not
profitable (there were not enough kilns), so he sold it to Stoner and
War II, since manpower was in short supply, some German and Italian
prisoners of war were brought to Fountain Rock Park daily by bus to
Another German prisoner of war, Otto Keihling,
acquired a bow and arrow set from the prisoner compound and gave it to
Woody Handley’s son, Bob, for his 9th birthday. Mrs. Teddy Handley was
quoted in an interview as saying “Our boys were over there and their
boys were over here”.
The railroad, bordering the south side of the park, was constructed in
1872, and was utilized in the lime industry. Some of the railroad
remains are shown below.